Chris Schmidt (crschmidt) wrote,
Chris Schmidt

Trip Report

Trip went well. Currently sitting on the airplane at O'Hare, sleepily typing away on lovely disciplina with my eyes closed.

Flight out was uneventful, which is the best kind of flight. Got up at 4:45, up and out of the house at 5:45, went to the wrong terminal (United instead of American, like I should have) and got over to the right terminal in time. Dad picked me up and took me back to STC, and lay quietly for a couple hours resting. After that, got up and helped clean up in prep for the party today.

Ended up cleaning out a lot of stuff from the basement. Came to the realization that the basement workroom at my parent's house is a lot like the basement at Allston St., with the only real difference being that my father is an organizational freak, so we have a lot more order to the madness. Still, the collections of random boxes from the past 5 years of electronics purchases, the old boxes full of paperwork, the piles of various house-related stuff - it's all the same. If my father were to move out and take all of the stuff that mattered to him, but not the stuff that didn't, the basement would end up the same as the one on Allston.

Picked through some piles of video games that have been rotting in the basement for the past 5 years, and got a decent working Nintendo out of the deal, so I'm coming back to Cambridge with a new working NES we can use with the games we have. Don't know yet if I'll hook it up, but I wanted to take it rather than having it be tossed.

Went to Mary's for dinner, which went okay, then headed to Sarah's, where we watched Dr. Who, played Wii, and watched more Dr. Who. (For those of you who were concerned, I'm working on torrenting Series 1, so that I can watch it before spoilering myself too much more with the Series 3 stuff. Currently have 50% of the 4.5GB torrent.)

Slept late, hung out and finished touches on party prep, people arrived around 1, more people continuing to arrive until I left. Many people asked after Jess's wellbeing, and were suitably sympathetic when I explained she couldn't make it out due to illness.

Got a ride back in my Uncle's Z3 convertible, roof down the whole way. Never ridden in a convertible with the top down before. It's quite nice -- when the kids are gone, I think I'd love to take a fancy two seater convertible up to the White Mountains and go down the Kankamangus or something.

Apparently we are late due to pilots -- currently they're on their way here from another plane. Supposedly taking off in 10 minutes -- we'll see how well that goes.

The guy next to me has an iPhone. I'm positive I don't want one as my primary phone -- lack of tactile response must make typing for texts and the like way more difficult -- but I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't envious of the pretty.

8 minutes til we're supposed to depart, and they haven't made me put my computer away yet. Something tells me we're not going to be leaving at 8.

And, adding to this the next morning: They closed the door about 60 seconds after I wrote that, and we pulled back from the gate at 8 and landed on time. I was impressed. Kristan and Jenn got me from the airport in the shiny detailed Jetta and brought me home, where I slept like a log. Now I've got to wake myself up and head to work.
Tags: family, stc, travel

  • candy

    At our old house, we always ran out of candy, so I live in perpetual fear of it. At this house, we were totally ghost town one year, and we ran out…

  • Projects

    Overall, I have a handful of projects I'm working on. - Livestream Alerts: Website for generating alerts during Livestreams. Most recent work:…

  • sigh, humans

    For the last 36 hours, I have been unreasonably upset by the simplest, stupidest things that people do. Why can't people just be more smart and less…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded