http://www.freeipods.com is offering Free Ipods for signing up for trial offers. Many people are asking how exactly this works. "WHere's the catch?" Although I'm not related in any way to the site, so I can't tell you for sure, here is my guess on how, and why, it works, based on everything I've read.
In order to receive a free ipod, you must 1. sign up for an offer and 2. have 5 people sign up for a trial offer under you. What most likely happens is that these offers generate cash to Gratis Networks, who run the site. At one point, AOL was offering $50 to any company that could get a sign up for one of their trial offers so this is not entirely out of the question. Now, take into account that many people will only get 1 or 2 offers completed under them: at which point, somewhere in the neighborhood of 100-150 dollars has gone directly into Gratis's pockets.
If you do have someone under you completing enough offers, you will have given Gratis the referral funds from 6 different offers: assuming the $50 price holds, that's a total of $300 bucks to them. Again, keep in mind that many people will not complete the full number of offers for such a thing, so these numbers are just round ballpark figures to give an example.
Many of these offers depend on "If you don't cancel your trial, your account will be charged automatically" - a ploy that has worked quite well on many different offers throughout the years. By working on the forgetfullness of people, many have succeeded in creating very successful businesses, in which giving out these referrals is well worth their time and effort.
Some of the offers which were once on the site are now gone - most likely an indicator that those offers were no longer as profitable to Gratis. However, many of the ones which are still there are quite lucrative, both to Gratis and potential customers.
I just recieved credit for my first offer from the site. It didn't cost me a dime. Here's how I did it:
1. Sign up. http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=8103353 Create a temporary, throwaway email address! You *will* get spammed! These people have permission to do whatever they want with your email address.
2. Choose the Ancestry.com offer. It requires a credit card, and is a two week free trial. When subscribing, note the 1-800 number on the right side of the page for cancelling your subscription at any time.
3. One week into the two week free trial, call the 1-800 number. Choose option 4. Let them know that you would like to cancel your free trial account.
4. Wait approximately 8 days to let a full 15 pass. Freeipods.com typically only credits after this period of time.
5. Find 5 more suckers to do the same thing :)
I got no charges, and no hassles. All in all, painless. If you're interested in giving it a try, please do sign up using my referrer link - although I'm sure you've probably been told the same by a dozen other people.
This is a US Only thing. Sorry others, but that's a Gratis limitation, not mine.
G'luck, and happy Ipoding.